The poor enforcement of health legislation in Gauteng could possibly have played a role in the death of a primary school learner who passed away on Friday after eating a packet of cookies which he bought from a spaza shop near the school.
The Grade 3 learner of the West Rand succumbed at a local clinic after he and his friend reportedly contracted food poisoning.
Informal vendors and spaza shops selling food, fruit and vegetables are not compelled to comply with the same strict health regulations as, for instance, restaurants, supermarkets and even fresh produce markets are.
These institutions are specifically required to comply with the most stringent health regulations to avoid the health risks associated with sub-standard foodstuffs.
After the incident, the Gauteng Department of Education warned school governing bodies, parents and communities to be careful when buying food from informal vendors.
That is not enough, though.
The FF Plus has, therefore, asked the Gauteng Health Department to enforce legislation regarding the sale of food more strictly on informal vendors to prevent any further loss of lives.